|

November 25, 2014

India: Prof. Ashis Nandy apologizes for graft remark against SCs, STs

Ashis Nandy apologizes for graft remark against SCs, STs
Dhananjay Mahapatra,TNN | Nov 25, 2014, 05.11 AM IST

NEW DELHI: Renowned social scientist Ashis Nandy on Monday tendered unconditional apology in the Supreme Court nearly two years after stoking a controversy and facing a string of criminal cases with his remark that corruption was on the rise among empowered OBCs, dalits and tribals.

Appearing for Nandy, senior advocate Kapil Sibal informed a bench of Justice AR Dave and Justice NV Ramana that his client has offered an unconditional written apology for his unintended remarks made during Jaipur Literary Festival in January 2013 and the matter should be closed.

The bench appeared to agreed with Sibal, but counsel for the complainants sought time to seek instructions.

In the apology letter, Nandy said, "I deeply regret that my comment, made at a symposium organized as part of Jaipur Literary Festival 2013, on corruption among the OBCs, SCs and STs taken together, has hurt the sentiments of many. I apologized for that comment within hours by calling a press conference that very evening to say that it was totally unintentional and that it was not what I meant to say.

"I once again offer my unconditional apology for any hurt that my comment might have caused and I reiterate that the comment was totally unintentional and against my own beliefs and principles. I hope people will judge me by my books, columns and other publications over the last 40 years and by my record."

Immediately after his controversial comment, criminal cases were filed against Nandy in Rajasthan, Maharashtra and Chhattisgarh. He had moved the apex court on January 30 last year seeking protection against possible arrest, asserting his right to free speech.

"Indian intellectuals are supine. They do not think radically," Nandy had told TOI when asked why other social scientists did not challenge the reigning orthodoxies as often as he did. "I don't want to be caught in a frame. I want my freedom of speech," he said.

He had also highlighted before the apex court his strong credentials as a champion of empowerment of "backward classes, dalits and tribals" whose rights had remained suppressed for long after independence.

He had said in his petition that he was a "pioneer of an unconditional support to the marginalized and the downtrodden communities such as OBCs, SCs and STs through his works such as writing, commentaries, lectures and debates over a period of last 40 years".

On his remarks in Jaipur, he had said, "During the session, a topic of corruption in India was raised and the petitioner expressed his opinion during the interaction. In fact, there was no mala fide intent or purpose on the part of the petitioner to make a comment in order to insult or intimidate with intent to humiliate a member of SC or ST community in any place within public view."


source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Ashis-Nandy-apologizes-for-graft-remark-against-SCs-STs/articleshow/45266057.cms